Tuesday, May 1, 2012

CEL 590 final posting

This has been quite a journey! I have learned a lot about assessment and evaluation this semester. Ironically, I have also had a chance to learn what more I need to work on in order to hone my skills at assessment and evaluation.

I will evaluate my progress in this course goal by goal beneath each goal. 


PL Goal #1: I will approach this course with an open heart and mind to the various types of assessment and evaluation so that I might learn NEW uses for familiar tools.
I feel pretty good about this goal. I was motivated and excited throughout the course to learn new ways of assessing as well as learning from my peers.



PL Goal #2: I would like to gain a better understanding of multiple choice and other traditional assessment terminology.
While I did gain a better feel for multiple ways to use traditional assessments and multiple choice tools, I continue to need to hone in on my understanding of the terms related to the application of those terms. 

PL Goal #3: I LOVE rubrics! I probably overuse them in my work but I am all self taught so I would like to learn more about the terms for the parts of a rubric and tools to help make mine better. As a part of this goal, I hope to create a few rubrics that are much needed in reference to a project that I have created within my coursework.
I made a rubric for the group project that I have been working on in my courses! I was happy to have this new product to test out the next time I teach a class. I feel as though I made great progress on this goal.

PL Goal #4: As the instructional specialist at my school, I do a lot of work with teachers encouraging them to assess students with something other than a test or quiz thus, I am always looking for more depth of understanding in the areas of Authentic assessment and Alternative assessment.
 I really need more work on this one...I am still looking for ideas BUT I gained a lot of great resources on portfolio use...I would like to incorporate the portfolio concept in my media class in order to students to have a compilation of their work.

PL Goal #5: I am VERY interested in learning about the various types of evaluation as this is an area that I have very little knowledge of. 
 
PL Goal #6: While I am familiar with Kirkpatrick's model of evaluation, I need to gain a better understanding of the model so that I can utilize it in my quest to learn more about class and program evaluation. 
 While I have better understanding of evaluation and Kirkpatricks model...i have much to learn. I have to get a stronger grasp on the different levels of the model. I had a REALLY hard time with the evaluation unit and writing my questions. I am going to need to spend more time looking at examples of the different levels of questions...

PL Goal #7: I want to take all of my learning from this course and apply it to my course planning and preparation in order to ensure a quality alignment in my activities with my learning objectives.
I am planning a new course for the summer and will utilize the activities of this course to better administer assessments in my class.
 
PL Goal #8: I would like to create a course evaluation that I implement at mid and end of course to inform my process:)
I will use my evaluation that I created as a starting point for a mid and end of semester evaluation but I also need to really work on tweaking my questions.  

I would give myself a B overall for this course. I have learned quite a bit from the course and from my peer interaction but I had a difficult time keeping up with the class while trying to finish my dissertation. I hesitated to even take the course this semester but I really did not want to wait for a while year to finish up this program. I know that I was distracted but I did have the opportunity to apply some of my learning as I am planning some teacher professional development. I adapted the course review process to an online professional development program that I am planning using the I NACOL standards. I am hoping to increase the quality of the online coursework that the teachers are planning. 

Anyway, needless to say, even though I was not the best student at all times in the course, I learned. I am looking forward to applying my learning in my future courses.

T-Hand signing out!
thea

No comments:

Post a Comment